After a decadent, spendy summer– full of exercise, mind you– Boyfriend and I found ourselves back in the kitchen with a new resolve to improve our cooking skills and preserve our bank accounts.On a chilly fall night a few weeks ago I realized we had some butternut squash and garnet yams on the verge of going bad, so I decided that the best thing to do was toss everything into a pot, then puree it all in the blender. (I have been loving my Breville Hemisphere Control ever since I got it this summer, and although it makes quick work of fruits and veggies for smoothies this was my first time using it for a creamy soup…luckily, it worked like a champ!)
This soup fed us for a whole week and never ceased to be delicious. And it couldn’t be easier!
Easy Fall Mélange Soup, aka Vegan, Gluten-Free, Butternut Squash-Yam-Apple Mashup
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cups butternut squash – peeled and cubed
- 3 garnet yams -peeled and cubed
- 1 large apple (I like honeycrisp) – cored, peeled, and quartered
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- To taste: Ground ginger, thyme, sea salt, and black pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a large pot or saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Let simmer until veggies are tender and soft, i.e. easily pierced/smashed with a fork– took about 45 minutes for us.
- Remove from heat and ladle pot contents into blender (in whatever size batches your blender can handle).
- Re-season, if necessary.